Friday, May 26, 2006

Boone Night Sky




One of the things that us techy guys seem to love is electricity. This shot shows nature's most impressive electrical shot in the form of a burst of lightning. I took this shot with a fairly old Sony digital camera, and yes, with a new SLR I would've gotten much better results.

There are two important factors to catching a shot like this on your own: a long shutter speed and patience. I personally took about 30 different shots before I nailed this one, each taking 8 seconds of capture. There can be no movement while the shutter is open, so I had the camera setup on a window sill to keep it still.

With a decent camera you can have a lot of fun trying to catch nature in the act. If you are going to be shopping for a new camera any time soon, remember that most of us have no need for more than about 5 megapixels. This camera was actually a 3 megapixel model, which has always had enough quality for me. Of course, I don't print images out very often, but a 4"x6" printout would probably look great. For 8"x10" prints, you will need atleast 8 megapixels.

4 Comments:

  • Magnificient lightning pic!

    P.S. Marie sent me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • hi, nate! this is an awesome picture!

    marie sent me (and she needs a better computer)!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

  • Marie--who really, really deserves a great computer--sent me also, Nate. That's a great picture you took. Well worth the patience you exhibited in taking it.

    By Blogger utenzi, at 8:55 PM  

  • Thanks everyone! I didn't expect such a great interest in my little project.

    And yes, Marie deserves a better machine. I'm working on it!

    By Blogger Nate Solberg, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home